Advertisement
Sports

Everton want Marcelo Bielsa to replace Frank Lampard, Chelsea renew Enzo Fernandez interest – Paper Round

Everton keen on Bielsa

Former Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa is wanted by Everton owner Farhad Moshiri after Frank Lampard was dismissed on Monday, multiple outlets are reporting. Everton took action with the club 19th in the Premier League and winless since October, with Bielsa among the leading contenders to take charge.

The Guardian reports: “Moshiri is believed to have already spoken with Bielsa about the prospect of replacing Lampard at Goodison Park. It remains to be seen whether the former Athletic Bilbao coach is interested or has backing from other Everton directors, with the club supposedly taking a collective approach to managerial appointments.

“The West Bromwich Albion head coach, Carlos Corberan, may also be considered.”

Like Bielsa, Sean Dyche is another available option.

**

Chelsea renew Fernandez interest

Chelsea will renew their interest in Enzo Fernandez despite failing to reach an agreement with Benfica earlier this month, the Guardian reports. The World Cup winner has a £106m release clause in his contract, and so Benfica are reluctant to sell for less, hence why they rejected Chelsea’s advances for the Argentina international. Talks are however set to resume this week, with the player having already expressed his desire to move to Stamford Bridge. No potential fee is mentioned though, so it remains to be seen whether Chelsea are willing to pay £106m.

“Chelsea have other midfielders in their sights, including Brighton’s Alexis Mac Allister,” the Guardian report says. “They have spent about £460m on 15 players since being bought by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital.

“Chelsea are also expected to challenge for Declan Rice in the summer but Arsenal are emerging as favourites to sign the West Ham captain. Liverpool, Manchester City and Real Madrid are seen as likelier destinations for Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham.”

**

Chelsea eye James back-up and Everton duo

Staying with Chelsea, the club are considering a bid for Lyon right-back Malo Gusto, the Telegraph reports. A back-up right back for Reece James is among Chelsea’s priorities this transfer window, although Lyon are reluctant to sell Gusto before the end of the season. Like James, 19-year-old Gusto is viewed as an offensive right-back and is also playing for France’s Under-21s. James’ injury has exposed Chelsea’s shortcomings in this area, making Gusto an ideal signing if they can pull it off.

And that’s not all, with the Telegraph adding: “Chelsea have shown an interest in Everton duo Anthony Gordon and Amadou Onana as the Stamford Bridge club gear up for a frantic end to the January transfer window.

Chelsea boss Potter ‘happy’ as Blues draw at Anfield with Liverpool

“Gordon was the subject of at least one bid from Chelsea last summer and the England Under-21 international is expected to leave Everton before the January transfer window shuts.

“Newcastle are interested in signing Gordon, but Telegraph Sport understands that the 21-year-old remains on Chelsea’s radar and the Londoners have considered making a bid that could involve sending him back to Everton on loan.”

**

Brighton in talks over Shakhtar defender

Brighton are in talks with Shakhtar Donetsk over signing Ukraine centre-back Mykola Matviyenko for a club-record £20m, the Mail reports. Talks have taken place this past week as Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi looks to bolster his options after an injury to on loan Levi Colwill.

“It is believed Matviyenko, 26, is keen on a move to the Premier League and the chance to reunite with his former manager Roberto De Zerbi,” the Mail reports. “Shakhtar have already lost Mykhailo Mudryk to Chelsea this month and the Ukrainian club are said to be holding out for more than £20m.”

Read the full article here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.