Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones to be returned to Australia following arrest for injuring local fisherman during drunken rampage

An Australian tourist is set to be released from an Indonesian prison and returned home after an alleged drunken rampage.

Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones was caught in a citizen’s arrest naked after allegedly attacking a local fisherman while on a drunken night out in the conservative Aceh province.

The 23-year-old from Noosa has spent the last month in a prison on the island of Simeulue, a surfing hotspot, but is set to be released after reaching a $25,000 settlement with the man he is said to have injured.

The island practices Islamic Sharia Law and has a ban on alcohol and police had accused Mr Risby-Jones of drinking vodka before attacking multiple people.

Mr Risby-Jones allegedly emerged from his room at the Moon Beach Resort without clothes on before hitting a security guard.

Police claim that while on the rampage Mr Risby-Jones then allegedly threw local fisherman, Edi Ron’s, motorcycle on him leaving him with broken bones, 50 stitches and a serious infection in his right foot.

Mr Risby-Jones was facing up to five years behind bars if convicted.

The Australian and Mr Ron met on Friday for a reconciliation meeting to discuss an outcome and the compensation was agreed upon to avoid a court date.

Mr Risby-Jones told ABC it “feels good” to have reached an outcome without going to court.

“Staying in an Indonesian cell for a month is hard for the body and for mental [state], but considering everything, I think my health is doing good,” he said while handcuffed and flanked by police.

Along with the compensation payment, Mr Risby-Jones and the resort he was staying at will pay for a cleansing ceremony in the community which will involve the slaughtering of a cow.

The chief of the village explained the resort or Mr Risby-Jones must pay for the cleansing ritual which would also involve 30 kilograms of rice and spices and the expenses involved with the cooking.

The case will now be passed to the provincial prosecutor’s office and the attorney general’s office for it to be approved allowing the Australian to return home in a fortnight.

Read the full article here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.